The Countdown Begins . . .


Every year I swear I am going to start my Christmas knitting in January. One scarf or shawl a month until December and it will all be done by November. Good thinking, right? You'd think. Does it ever happen? Uh, never. Because in January, all I want to knit is sweaters (and I've already got my sweaters lined up) so Christmas knitting is going to be the last thing I want to do. But thankfully I know myself well enough that in July I start test running patterns to find the quickest, easiest knitting patterns because, well, the calendar is already halfway done and I haven't even started.

Now this year, I ran into bumps with even those good intentions. I've already discussed my bump in the road with lace knitting. So the great lace knit scarves are out, and I just found extra skeins of the Debbie Bliss Cashmerino that I need for the Fetching wrist warmers that turned up short. And then my Jo-Anne.com order was black and gray instead of all black. So here it is, almost December and I've got a marathon of knitting to do in the next few weeks.

And even that wouldn't be so daunting if I didn't keep getting side-tracked. First by my lace knitting failure, and then by a skein of Rowan Biggy Print, which I turned into a hat for our babysitter, Jessica. She's going to college in Ellensburg, WA, where the wind, plus the snow and cold, can make a Seattle girl really wish for rain. So I send her new hats to keep her warm. (But of course, I forgot to take a picture of her in it!)

So I am making up my mind right now. It's scarves and wrist warmers this Christmas. I am going to rework the Fetching pattern a little, and instead of cashmere lace scarves, Santa is knitting these neck warmers out of the Lion Cashmere Blend: Ruffled ends and a K1, P1 ribbing up the length of the scarf. I may make the next one with a K2, P1, ribbing just to keep things a little different. The Lion Cashmere is nice to work with and very soft, so I would recommend it.

So what are you favorite quick and easy knit Christmas gifts?

Comments

Anonymous said…
I feel your pain with the Christmas knitting, although admittedly, I'm not as practiced a knitter as yourself. I wish you luck on the marathon!! :-)

That white scarf is beautiful by the way! I love the ruffled ends!
Elizabeth Boyle said…
Oh, I am not that experienced when it comes to knitting. Though I've knit for years and years, I'm no expert. I really stick to easy patterns and know my limits. And believe me the point of all the Christmas knitting is EASY and QUICK. :)

Thanks for the compliment on the scarf. I should have it done today or tomorrow.
Anonymous said…
Bah Humbug - I refuse to do Christmas knitting! I'm gonna be Scrooge on this. :)
Elizabeth Boyle said…
Tiennie, you crack me up! I go through this--not this year, no way, then I can't stand it and have to MAKE something for everyone. Just can't get away from the family roots of making Christmas. So you're not Scrooge, probably just smarter and more practical.

Popular Posts