Another Skein Bites the Dust . . .

And lives on in the form of two baby hats. I didn't think I'd get two hats out of this partial skein, but when I finished the first one and there was too much yarn left to ignore--I cast on a smaller amount of stitches and made a premie version. I had forgotten how much I love knitting hats--the simple joy in knitting in the round, the way the rows add up so quickly and in an evening you have a finished project.

A few Christmases ago, I knit hats for everyone. The nieces and nephews, friends, anyone I needed to find a little gift for. In total, I think I knit about 30-40 hats. Crazy, but fun. In the new issue of knitsimple, there is a pattern for "basic hats." It takes one basic pattern and shows how it can be made in 9 different combinations. Oh, seeing that article made my fiendish hat knitting heart beat wildly. And of course, I have all this extra yarn leftover from my last hat knitting frenzy...

Meredith posted a comment the other day about seeing patterns (in blogs and magazines and books) and being inspired to add to the project list. I've been reading blogs lately, indulging in the voyuerism of seeing what everyone else is knitting. But when I see all these cool projects, I want to make them as well--toe up socks, an Elizabeth Zimmerman inspired sweater, or some lacy concoction that I haven't a clue how to even cast on. I think all knitters probably suffer from this and we collect patterns like we collect yarn.

I gathered all my little bits of inspiration together recently, all the ones I've downloaded from the internet, bought, or plucked from magazines and cleaned through them. It took some moments of real self-examination: Am I really going to knit this? Do I really need to keep ALL these magazines? And if the answer was yes or even a hedged maybe, I put it in a sheet protector and tucked it in a 3 ring binder. In a year, I'll give it another run through. But it came in handy this week when I decided to knit those hats. I just opened it up and plucked out of the hat section the Ann Norling Kid's Fruit Cap pattern I love. Yes, the notebook has dividers . . . I'm a bit anal when it comes to notebooks and dividers--I was a paralegal in my former life and I love nicely organized documents. That reminds me--I need to refile the hat pattern if this system is going to work. Okay, so I'm a little out of practice.

Next up: I want to knit my Fuzzy Feet, and maybe a vest. Then get going on my Christmas knitting. Which is what I really should be concentrating on . . .

Comments

Popular Posts